Development of Technology for Malayalam language is the main aim of the centre. Standardization and unification of fonts, Unicode related issues, morphological analyzer and generator, Spell checker, grammar checker, creation of lexical data and dictionaries, corpora building, system tools like Machine translation, text and speech processing software, web related issues, etc. are some major areas to be covered by the centre. Study on various issues, like word formation rules, sentence pattern, frequency of phonemes and morphemes etc. are also incorporated. In short Malayalam language and the development of technology and resources for the language to cop up with the modern technology will be given top priority.
As the development of technology for processing Malayalam language attracts attention from various corners like computer scientists and language experts, media persons, teaching community, etc. the coordination and cooperation of similar agencies will be utilized. The centre has an aim of developing the following at the initial stage.
1. Creation and Maintenance of Corpora (text and speech) for Malayalam Language.
2. Development of Malayalam language dictionaries both online and electronic form.
3. Developing systems for Text processing and generation with Spell/ Grammar checkers.
4. Online grammar
5. Machine/ online translator
6. Digital archives of Malayalam
Websites and E-mail
Local Search Engine Standards