1. Alumni Association of the Department of Library & Information Science
The alumni of this Department are spread over the whole of India and a few are practicing abroad. A large majority of them are working in the various libraries and information centres in Kerala. Almost all the Professionals heading the prominent libraries and information centres in the state, such as the Kerala State Central Library, the University Libraries of all the Universities in Kerala, the British Library, and the major research libraries are the products of the Department.
The Alumni Association of the Department of Library & Information Science (AADLIS) functioning in the Department serves as a forum for fostering the professional development of its members and for harnessing their potentials for the development of the department. The major activities of AADLIS include:
• Organizing annual meet of the Alumni
• Awarding scholarships and financial assistance to proficient and financially backward students
• Felicitating the retired faculty members of the department
• Honouring the members on their achievements
• Organizing continuing professional development programmes
2. Department of Library & Information Science Association (DLISA)
The Department of Library & Information Science Association functioning in the Department is a forum of the students, scholars and faculty members. It is the body which organises co- curricular and extra curricular activities aimed at integral development of information skills of the students. The activities of the association include:
Organizing invited lectures by experts in various subject fields,
Organizing competitions at both intra-departmental and inter-departmental levels,
Conducting study tours and field studies,
Organizing literary and cultural programmes, picnics etc.
Conducting class seminars, group discussions and other similar programmes.
The Head of the Department is the President of the Association. An Executive Committee comprising representatives elected from among the students carries out the the activities of the Association.
3. Endowment Awards
In addition to the merit awards instituted with the University of Kerala, the following awards are there exclusively for the students of Library and Information Science
• Prof. K. A. Isaac Endowment award: The First Rank holders in M L I Sc Degree Examination of the University of Kerala, receive cash awards from the University as per the provisions of the Endowment.
• The Kerala Library Association awards Gold Medals to the First Rank holders in B L I Sc Degree Examination every year.
• C. A. Augustine Holy Cross Award: The top scorer/s in Information Science paper of the erstwhile B.L.I.Sc.Degree examination of the University of Kerala, used to receive a cash award every year. It is instituted by a Committee of the Kottiyam Holy Cross Hospital Records Librarians and Friends of Prof. C A Augustine.
• AADLIS Endowment Prize::This Endowment scholarship is awarded to one or more of the students of MLISc (Regular) course, who are financially backward.
• Smt. K.K. Lalitha Bai Endowment Prize:This Endowment scholarship instituted in honour of Smt K K Lalitha Bai, the former faculty member of this Department is awarded one or more of the Final Semester M L I Sc (2 year) students who is/are economically backward. The scholarship is intended to be used for the final completion of their dissertation
• Dr. G. Devarajan Endowment Prize: The prize shall be awarded by the University to the Ph.D awardee in Library and Information Science whose thesis is adjudged as the best from among those for whom degree was awarded during
the preceding calendar year.